Monday, September 15, 2014

Authors Anonymous Review


"Authors Anonymous" is a mockumentary about an author group and how they handle it when one of their members gets a book deal.

It got terrible reviews on rotten tomatoes. In my opinion, it's because "Authors Anonymous" is not a movie that people outside of the writing community are going to understand. They might on a superficial level understand the things that the writers are experiencing and doing, but we've all been in similar situations or seen people in similar situations. Ironically, it would be nice to have an author group that I could have watched it with and discussed it afterwards.

I thought it was one of the best representations of writers in movies. Of course, it was mocking us and it's going to make you cringe several times while you are watching it (because it's showing the worst side of writers) and maybe even shout about how it's wrong (about things like self-publishing), but that's because the jokes are written by someone who's been through all of it before. So they know how to hit really close to home.

It showed how narcissistic, yet insecure we all are. The constant rejection we face. And even how sometimes, when we're doing really poorly, we'll cling to any little inkling of success like we're dying and it's a lifeboat.

I was happy to see that the cast included several familiar actors and actresses. They played their parts well.

If you saw the movie, what did you think of it?

8 comments:

Yelle Hughes said...

I've never even heard of it, but would love to see it.
I'd like to come back and give you my findings.

E.B. Black said...

Yes, definitely do tell me what you think! I wouldn't have heard of it either, but someone was discussing it in an author group on facebook, so I looked into it and decided to watch it. :) It's an indie film.

T.J. said...

I'm GOING TO SEE THIS MOVIE! OMGosh .. soon as I find it on RedBox or Amazon Prime lol (Side note: Dennis Ferina died at some point in the past 12 months)

E.B. Black said...

What? OMG! I didn't know he died. How sad. I thought he was great in the movie. :(

Anyway, definitely, definitely, definitely, tell me what you think when you see this movie!

You can download it on Amazon right now, but I think you have to pay for it. I don't know though because I don't have Amazon Prime. I don't know if it will be on Redbox thought because of it being an indie movie.

E.B. Black said...

Oh! I forgot to ask one thing, T.J.-Do you have netflix? Because you can stream it on there. That's how I saw it!

David Congalton said...

Hey E.B. --

Thanks for taking the time to watch and review Authors Anonymous. I'm the screenplay writer from the project, drawn on my 12 years of directing a writers conference in California. The original shooting script is posted at www.imsdb.com if anyone wants to check it out. It's fair to say that the final verso deviates from the script in some ways, but the reaction from writing groups all over has been favorable and it was a dream come true for me.

Best,

David Congalton
San Luis Obispo, CA

Unknown said...

There are so many web, but only that I think your website helpful, thank you


Obat Tradisional Penyakit Beri Beri
Obat Penyakit Chorn Alami
Obat Benjolan Nanah
Pengobatan Jamur Pada Selangkangan Herbal
Obat Eksim Kering

Vegan Recipes said...

Very creative ppost