Friday, September 21, 2012

It Doesn't Matter What People Think

"It doesn't matter what people think."

I always think that I believe these words, but find myself getting insecure regularly anyway.

Like when someone at my mother's church asked her when I was going to get a "real" job and stop trying to be a writer. I got mad because I forgot that it doesn't matter what people think.

Or when another writer talks about how self-published authors (which is what I'm about to be) aren't as good as other authors, I need to remember that it doesn't matter what people think.

I remember reading a blog post awhile back about twitter. I follow back everyone who follows me and additional people on top of that, so I have more people I'm following than people who are following me. According to this person, entertainers like me are losers because we only have the followers we do because we follow people back. People with lots of followers who aren't following many people are supposedly the only interesting people on twitter.

I got mad at first because I forgot: it doesn't matter what people think.

I follow people back because I want to interact with them if possible. They showed an interest in me, so I'd like to do the same thing for them. I read tweets whenever I can and respond to them when I have time. I have wonderful conversations because of it.

I'm not going to stop doing this either because I feel like it's the right thing for me to do.

So if you're a writer who has gotten a bad review today or a person who has been insulted by someone you considered to be a friend. Just remember: it doesn't matter what people think! People do good things all the time and still get criticized over them, but those who continue on the right paths and don't give into pressure, are the ones who will get to live the best lives.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took me time to read all the tips, but I clearly loved the post. It proved to be very helpful to me and I'm certain to all of the commenters here!

T.J. said...

That is right, EB! It doesn't matter what they think. I believe you are doing a damn fine job, have talent, and admire your courage in following the self pubbed route. I also love that you are working hard to ensure that your book is well written and worth reading.

It doesn't matter what others think. You are the one who must live with yourself :)

SC Author said...

Thank you :) This is a hard, but important lesson to learn. It's so relevant to us as writer's as well.

Unknown said...

There are so many web, but only that I think your website helpful, thank you


Makanan Yang Harus Di Hindari Para Penderita Benjolan Di Leher